Cultural Heritage Management Plans

Do you have a project or development planned?

Before starting any development activities it's important you understand if it could affect Aboriginal cultural heritage. That way, your development can proceed smoothly, regardless of whether Aboriginal objects are found or not, without costly interruptions.

What is a Cultural Heritage Management Plan?

A Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP) is a written report prepared by a Heritage Adviser. It contains results of an assessment of the potential impact of a proposed activity on Aboriginal cultural heritage. It outlines measures to be taken before, during and after an activity in order to manage and protect Aboriginal cultural heritage in the activity area.

When is a CHMP required?

A CHMP is required when high impact activities are planned in an area of cultural heritage sensitivity, as defined by the Aboriginal Heritage Regulations 2007.

In such an area, planning permits, licences and work authorities can't be issued unless a CHMP has been approved for the activity.

Areas of cultural heritage sensitivity are registered Aboriginal cultural heritage places, as well as landforms and land categories that are generally regarded as more likely to contain Aboriginal cultural heritage.

Areas of cultural heritage sensitivity are shown on the online map.

If the area is associated with Cultural Heritage Sensitivity check the Aboriginal Heritage Planning Tool to see if your proposed development classifies as a high impact activity and will require a Cultural Heritage Management Plan.

If your proposed development isn't a high impact activity, for example a sub-division of 3 lots or less, you can still choose to complete a CHMP to ensure there are no delays if something is uncovered.

If you're completing an activity that doesn't require a CHMP but is likely to harm Aboriginal cultural heritage, then you may still need to get a Cultural Heritage Permit. You should talk to your Heritage Adviser about what's best to do in your circumstances.

How do I get a CHMP?

If your proposed development is a high impact activity a Heritage Adviser will need to prepare the CHMP on your behalf.

As well as the costs of the adviser, fees are paid to the organisation who approves the CHMP (the Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) for the area or Aboriginal Victoria if none exists).

Fees and Conduct Guidelines Fees and Conduct GuidelinesPDF (295.55 KB) Fees and Conduct Guidelines Fees and Conduct GuidelinesDOC (1.73 MB)

Find a Heritage Adviser

For further information and forms, see Aboriginal Heritage Management - Guides, Forms and Practice Notes.